Light green and vintage pink are the new colours that will make the two most frequented S-Bahn lines in Vienna recognisable in the future. This includes the main line from Floridsdorf to Meidling (S1, S2, S3 & S4) as well as the suburban line from Handelskai to Hütteldorf (S45).
The S-Bahn is an essential part of the inner-city transport network in Vienna. Following the 5 underground lines in Vienna, the two S-Bahn lines now have their own colours on the traffic maps as well as a correspondingly colour-coded guidance systems in the stations.
Both S-Bahn lines are specially marked in green and vintage pink on all ÖBB and Wiener Linien maps, thus making it even easier for passengers to find their way around. Both the rapid connection map, the “overhead map” on the underground doors and the Vienna metropolitan area public transport map will have the same design in the future. In addition, the 19 stations of the two most important Viennese S-Bahn lines from Floridsdorf to Meidling and from Handelskai to Hütteldorf also received a new colour guidance system.
The next one will be here shortly and you will reach your destination in no time
Vienna’s S-Bahn railway between Floridsdorf and Meidling runs on average every 4 minutes and is comparable to the travel time intervals of the city’s underground system. Every train stops at each station, with the exception of the exception of the S7 airport line, which branches off from the main line at Vienna Rennweg.
The suburban line (S45) between Handelskai and Hütteldorf also takes you through or into the city quickly. The S-Bahn runs daily in 10 to 15 minute intervals.
No extra charge
All S-Bahn lines in Vienna's metropolitan area can also be used with the annual ticket and all other VOR tickets (traffic association for the eastern region) for the Vienna core zone.
Vienna’s rapid railway system S-Bahn has been in operation since 17 January 1962. From the very beginning, the S-Bahn with its main line from Vienna/Floridsdorf to Vienna/Meidling was designed to connect the surrounding areas of Vienna with the city. This transport policy decision had a far-reaching impact on the development of the entire eastern region.
Vienna’s S-Bahn in figures:
- 89,003 million local transport passengers
- 1,410 local transport trains per day
- 10* S-Bahn lines
- 890 S-Bahn trains per day
* total number of S-Bahn lines in the eastern region (Vienna, Lower Austria, Burgenland); 10 (some cross provincial borders)
Book selected transport association tickets for Vienna now!
Booking is easy, either online at shop.oebbtickets.at or mobile using the ÖBB App!
Please note that on ÖBB local trains (these are trains designated as S-Bahn, R or REX) you are required to have a valid ticket prior to boarding the train. The only exceptions are boarding stations where it is not possible to purchase a ticket.
ÖBB operates 10 S-Bahn lines in Vienna/Lower Austria/Bgld
These are the lines in the eastern-region
- Wien Meidling - Wien Stammstrecke - Gänserndorf - Marchegg
- Timetable Wien Meidling - Marchegg
- Mödling - Wien Stammstrecke - Wolkersdorf - Mistelbach - Laa a.d. Thaya
- Timetable Mödling - Wien
- Timetable Wien - Laa a.d. Thaya
- Wr. Neustadt Hbf - Wien Stammstrecke - Stockerau - Hollabrunn
- Timetable Wr. Neustadt Hbf - Wien
- Timetable Wien - Hollabrunn
- Wr. Neustadt Hbf - Wien Stammstrecke - Absdorf-Hippersdorf/Tullnerfeld
- Timetable Wr. Neustadt Hbf - Wien
- Timetable Wien - Tullnerfeld
Line S7 - Airport connection
- Laa a. d. Thaya - Mistelbach - Wolkersdorf - Wien Mitte - Flughafen Wien (VIE) - Wolfsthal
- Timetable Mistelbach - Wien
- Timetable Wien - Flughafen Wien (VIE) - Wolfsthal
- Wien Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof - Tulln-Tullnerfeld - Herzogenburg - St. Pölten Hbf
- Timetable Wien FJB - St. Pölten Hbf
Line S45 - The suburb line
- Wien Hütteldorf - Wien Heiligenstadt - Wien Handelskai
During rush hours, the S45 runs between Vienna Hütteldorf and Vienna Handelskai at 10-minute intervals. This makes the suburb line the ideal option for local transport for the districts 14, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20, offering optimal connections to the Western Route, the S-Bahn Main Route, the Franz-Josefs-Bahn and the Wiener Linien. At four out of ten stations, S45 allows you to switch to a underground - U3 (Ottakring), U4 (Hütteldorf, Heiligenstadt) and U6 (Handelskai) - thereby allowing you to move around the city much faster.
- Timetable Wien Hütteldorf - Wien Handelskai
- Wien Westbahnhof - Tullnerbach - Pressbaum - Neulengbach
- Timetable Wien Westbf. - Neulengbach
- Bruck/Leitha - Wien Hbf - Wien Meidling - Ebenfurth - Wr. Neustadt Hbf
- Timetable Bruck/Leitha - Wien
- Timetable Wien - Wr. Neustadt Hbf
- Wien Aspern Nord - Wien Hbf - Wien Meidling - Wien Hütteldorf
- Timetable Aspern Nord - Hütteldorf
Get your tickets here
- via the ÖBB app
- via the ÖBB ticket shop
- at the ÖBB ticket machines
- at ÖBB ticket counters
Your real-time timetable information
- via online timetable Scotty
- via your SCOTTY mobil app
You can find all information on your railway station in ÖBB’s railway station information.