Whether you prefer a pleasant ride around a lake or want to conquer the highest peaks on your mountain bike: countless bike trails throughout Austria await you. On ÖBB trains, you have several options of taking your bicycle along.
Bike transport prices depend on WHEN and WHERE you buy the ticket. It applies the earlier, the cheaper and online via shop.oebbtickets.at and via the ÖBB app is cheaper than at the machine, at the ticket counter or on the train. In addition to this, you can also purchase weekly or monthly tickets for your bicycle. For international routes, we offer you the Biking International Ticket at a price starting at € 12.-.
If you would prefer not to transport your bicycle by train, you can have it collected from your home and transported within Austria with our convenient ÖBB door luggage service.
If you fold your folding bike (maximum dimensions 90 cm wide x 60 cm high x 40 cm deep), you can use it as hand luggage free of charge and without reservation on all trains.
In all local and regional trains as well as in the ÖBB Railjet trains (only in the marked areas) folded bikes can be taken free of charge, even with the maximum dimensions of 110 cm wide x 80 cm high x 40 cm deep.
You can buy your bicycle ticket up to six months in advance: online, via the ÖBB App, at the ÖBB Customer Service at +43 (0)5 1717, and from the ÖBB ticket counters.
A note for all e-bikers: Please ensure that the batteries are fully charged before you travel! The batteries must remain on the e-bike during the train journey and must not be charged on the trains.
We ask for your understanding that bicycles cannot be taken on the buses if rail replacement services are necessary at short notice.
Taking your bicycle along on regional trains
For local transport (Cityjet Xpress, regional train, regional express and S-Bahn), we will be glad to take your bicycle along if enough free spaces are available. On these trains, it is not possible to reserve a space for your bicycle.
Small groups may also benefit from the Einfach-Raus bicycle ticket.
Taking your bicycle along on long-distance trains
On long-distance trains (Railjet, Railjet Xpress, Intercity, Eurocity, Express train, ICE as well as in the Nightjet), you need to reserve a space for your bicycle. Reservations at the ÖBB Ticketshop or via the ÖBB App cost € 3.-. At the ÖBB customer service at +43 (0)5 1717 and at the ÖBB ticket counters, you pay € 3.50 for this.
Bicycles exceeding our standard dimensions (length over 185 cm, height over 110 cm, width over 60 cm, tire size from 28 inches, a width of more than 4.2 cm and a maximum weight of 30 kg) or tandems, recumbent bikes, and bicycle trailers can only be transported in special luggage compartments. For these, online reservations and reservations via the ÖBB App are not possible.
Please note that only one bicycle reservation is possible per bicycle ticket. If possible, we would ask you to print out your bicycle reservation and attach it to your bicycle where it is clearly visible. This will help our employees on the train with the validation of tickets.
We cannot take only electrically powered vehicles with us.
Hints for your departure
- To make travelling by train and bike a pleasure from the outset, we recommend arriving on the platform 5 to 10 minutes before departure.
- Your reservation confirmation (for long-distance trains) shows which carriage your reserved bicycle space is located in. Please refer to the carriage indicator (information board) on the platform in advance to find out which sector the bicycle carriage will stop in.
- Before the train arrives, please remove all items of luggage (e.g. panniers) from your bicycle. Boarding and loading can then take place without a rush.
- If your bicycle is very dirty, please clean it before boarding.
- You are personally responsible for loading your bicycle. When boarding and alighting, please ensure that you do not damage the train or your bicycle.
- In order for your bicycle to be stowed securely for the train journey, most long-distance trains are fitted with bicycle hooks. Local trains have designated areas with straps for securing your bicycle safely. Please lock your bike.