Please find a quick and easy overview of the the most frequently asked questions as follows. Feel free to browse through the categories or find answers using the search. The button "Could not find an answer" will lead you directly to our online contact form.
Search for your question...
On what routes can I take my car/motorcycle along?
What needs to be observed regarding the loading and transport of my car or motorcycle?
In general, only cars which are neither higher than 158 cm nor wider than 200 cm can be transported. If your car is higher, our sales representatives (e.g. ÖBB's customer service, which you can reach by telephone at +43 5 1717) will be glad to advise you regarding possible exceptions.
Vehicles are generally loaded starting 1 to 2 hours prior to the departure of the train. Vehicles must be waiting at the place of loading indicated by us at the loading time specified in the reservation. Please bring motorcycles, vehicles with a height of more than 158 cm, as well as vehicles with non-metallic roofs to the place of loading right at the beginning of the loading time. At a later time, loading will no longer be possible.
When entering the facility, please present your vehicle ticket. The vehicle will be inspected briefly, and you will be asked to park in a waiting lane on the loading parking lot until you are ready to load your car or motorcycle. You will load your car or motorcycle onto the transport wagon yourself. Our
loading staff will ensure that your vehicle is secured properly. Please do not forget to retract or detach the radio antenna prior to loading and to switch off any alarm system you may have.
After driving onto the transport wagon, please make sure that all windows are closed, that you have the vehicle in 1st gear and that the handbrake is applied. After this, please lock your car. Passengers and animals are not allowed to remain in the car. For safety reasons, only closed ski carriers are allowed. Ski bags, on the other hand, are not permitted. Motorcycles are preferably transported on the transport wagonÄs lower deck and may have a height of up to 158 cm (incl. covering).
The loading crew will secure your motorcycle properly using a special lashing system. If your motorcycle has a windshield, this will need to be secured separately. Nobody knows your vehicle the way you do. Please help us find the right fixing points.
What information do I need for a booking?
Please have the following information at hand when making a booking:
- Brand and type of vehicle
- License number
- Length, width and height according to the vehicle documents, including all superstructures (roof luggage, ski carrier, ...)
- If your vehicle is higher than 158 cm, also the width of the roof (you should probably best measure this yourself). Please, under all circumstances, indicate this excess height when booking. Depending on your destination, the maximum height is 205 cm for vehicles with a roof width of up to 135 cm and 196 cm for vehicles with a roof width of 135.1 cm to 155 cm.
Where can I find further information?
- Detailed information can be found in the "Handbook for travelling with ÖBB in Austria" (german only), Point A.7.
- If you have any questions, please contact our sales representatives at the ÖBB ticket counters or the ÖBB customer service which can be reached by telephone at +43 5 1717.