Across the Alps without traffic jams: ÖBB's Tauern motorail offers an attractive alternative to the Tauern Motorway. We transport your car or motorcycle through the Tauern tunnel between the Gastein Valley in Salzburg and the Möll Valley in Carinthia. Our trains run every hour, the passage takes 11 minutes.
Time schedules for the motorail service
- Departure from Mallnitz-Obervellach towards the North (hourly at minute 50): first train at 05:50 a.m., last train at 10:50 p.m.
- Departure from Böckstein towards the South (hourly at minute 20): first train at 06:20 a.m., last train at 11:20 p.m.
|Type of vehicle||Price|
|Passenger vehicle or motorbike (up to 3,5t)||€ 17,-|
|Weekly pass (Passenger vehicle or motorbike up to 3,5t)||€ 61,40|
|Monthly pass (Passenger vehicle or motorbike up to 3,5t)||€ 112,10|
|Annual pass (Passenger vehicle or motorbike up to 3,5t)||€ 244,50|
|Passenger vehicle with trailer (up to 3,5t)||€ 27,-|
|Trailer (up to 3,5t)||€ 10,-|
|Truck or Bus (over 3,5t) oder Wohnmobil (3-axes)||€ 50,-|
Loading starts 15 minutes prior to the train's departure and ends 5 minutes prior to the train's departure. Passengers and pets may not remain inside the vehicle during the trip.
Conditions of Carriage
Here, you will find all information on how to transport your car or motorcycle on the Tauern motorail. To ensure your safe journey:
Separate transport of vehicles and passengers
Passengers and pets may not remain inside the vehicle during the passage. Only the driver drives the vehicle onto the train and then board the passenger car at platform 1. Accompanying passengers go aboard the passenger car immediately.
Permitted vehicle dimensions
- Maximum height: 3.60 metres (trucks) to 3.80 metres (buses)
- Maximum width: 2.50 metres
- Maximum weight: 25 tonnes
Not authorised for transport
- Transport of hazardous materials
- Vehicles with a total length of more than 12.5 metres
- Buses with 3 axles
Transport only after prior reservation
Coaches (2 axles) and motorcycle groups are only transported after prior reservation.
Transport is subject to available spaces, reservations are not possible. We cannot guarantee transport on a particular train. Please note the signs posted in the loading zones.