The following rights apply to carriage services in national and international rail transport. In case of delay, train cancellation, missed connecting train, and delay as a result of an accident, we offer you compensation and support subject to the limitations mentioned below.
If delays exceeding 60 minutes are to be expected, we will take all reasonable and appropriate measures to alleviate your situation if such measures are available or can be reasonably delivered, e.g. by giving you refreshments and meals free of charge.
There is NO entitlement to compensation, refund or reimbursement of costs due to train delays if:
- the passenger has been informed about possible delays before purchasing the ticket;
- by continuing the journey with another type of transport service or via another route, the resulting delay when arriving at one’s destination is less than 60 minutes;
- the delay can be attributed to transport services that are not part of the contract for carriage.
How do you get your compensation?
In order to pursue a claim for compensation you need the form entitled “Application to claim compensation and refund in the event of train delays”. You can download this form here, or obtain it on your delayed train or at a station ticket counter. Please send the completed form with your ticket/s (not a copy) as well as any delay confirmations, attestations or invoices to ÖBB Personenverkehr AG, Fahrgastrechte, Postfach 75, 1020 Vienna, or hand it in at a station ticket counter. Acceptance of the application does not automatically imply consent to compensation. If you hand in to us tickets issued by other railway companies we undertake to forward these to the appropriate transportation company.
Compensation is in the form of vouchers, valid for one year, redeemable at ÖBB ticket counters or travel agencies at the station for all services offered by the ÖBB-Personenverkehr AG. Upon request, we will transfer the compensation payment free of charge to your account or, if you purchased your ticket by credit card, we will credit that card.
Holders of a 2nd class ÖSTERREICHCARD receive fixed-rate compensation of Euro 20.- for every three delays of more than 60 minutes from the ÖBB-Personenverkehr AG, holders of a 1st class ÖSTERREICHCARD Euro 30.- up to a maximum of ten per cent of the purchase price of that particular ÖSTERREICHCARD per year.
Passengers must get confirmation of their delays from the ÖBB-Personenverkehr AG, either from the on-board conductor or the ticket counter at the station immediately on arrival.
Time-based tickets customers (with the exception of annual tickets)
As a holder of a time-based ticket you receive compensation if you experience a delay of more than 20 minutes where the delay has been confirmed by an on-board staff member or by station ticket counter staff immediately upon your arrival. Should it not be possible to obtain confirmation by those means, please contact the ÖBB-Kundenservice 05-1717 or go to http://fahrplan.oebb.at by 12 midnight on the following day to retrieve and print your confirmation: go to the "trains/lines" section and enter your data under "confirmation of delay".
There is a standard compensation sum of 1,50 Euro for each delay, payable in cash upon presentation of your time-based ticket and appropriate number of delay confirmations at any ÖBB ticket counter - the delays must fall within the period of validity of the time-based ticket. Please note that compensation payments of less than 4,- Euro will not be issued.
Annual ticket customers
As an annual ticket customer, upon first ordering your annual ticket, the ÖBB or the issuing office for the annual ticket will contact you in writing to ask you whether or not you wish to take part in the train delay compensation process. If you wish to participate, details about your stations of departure and arrival will be logged as well as your bank contact details.
ÖBB will subsequently issue information monthly about punctuality rates on the line, or parts thereof, on which your stations of departure and arrival lie and for which you are using your annual ticket.
If the punctuality rates of 95% prescribed by law have not been achieved, you receive for that month, a 10% credit on the monthly zone ticket price for that train connection as compensatory payment. At the end of the period of validity of your annual ticket, the total amount of compensation payments for delays will be credited to your bank account automatically.
Please note that bus journeys that form part of annual ticket zones do not attract compensatory payments and that annual tickets used exclusively for inner city areas (town transport, core zones) are not subject to any kind of compensation regulations.
Please see the general transport regulations for further information on compensation payment regulations. ÖBB has subdivided its rail network into the following sections for the purpose of calculating punctuality rates.
Your rights are based on the standard legal provisions of the Contract for the Carriage of Passengers (CIV), Regulation (EC) No. 1371/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of October 23, 2007 on rail passengers’ rights and obligations as well as the transport regulations of the ÖBB Personenverkehr AG. In addition, Part 1, BGB1 40/2013of the Federal Law Gazette for the Republic of Austria, also applies.
Access regulations for carriage of passengers with reduced mobility.
Pursuant to Article 19, Section 1 of the rail passenger rights, railway companies and station operators establish non-discriminatory access regulations for the carriage of passengers with reduced mobility. For detailed information please go to Downloads/Links.
Passengers who do not agree with the decision of the railway undertaking can contact the arbitration board of Schienen-Control GmbH. For detailed information please visit the website.
Rail network sections (calculating punctuality rates)
- Wien Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof - Absdorf-Hippersdorf
- Absdorf-Hippersdorf - Krems an der Donau
- Absdorf-Hippersdorf - Sigmundsherberg
- Sigmundsherberg - Gmünd NÖ
- Stockerau - Absdorf-Hippersdorf
- Wien West - St. Pölten Hbf (über Rekawinkel)
- Krems an der Donau - St. Pölten Hbf
- Tulln an der Donau - St. Pölten Hbf
- Traisen - St. Pölten Hbf
- Sigmundsherberg - Krems an der Donau
- Wien Floridsdorf - Bernhardsthal
- Gänserndorf - Marchegg
- Gänserndorf - Groß Schweinbarth
- Obersdorf - Groß Schweinbarth
- Wien Hbf - Mödling - Payerbach-Reichenau
- Wien Meidling - Pottendorf - Wr. Neustadt Hbf
- Wien Hbf - Bruck an der Leitha
- Bruck an der Leitha - Nickelsdorf
- Bruck an der Leitha - Neusiedl am See
- Bruck an der Leitha - Kittsee
- Wien Meidling - Retz
- Floridsdorf - Wolfsthal
- Payerbach-Reichenau - Mürzzuschlag
- Wiener Neustadt Hbf - Bad Fischau-Brunn
- Bad Fischau-Brunn - Gutenstein
- Bad Fischau-Brunn - Puchberg am Schneeberg
- Wiener Neustadt - Loipersbach-Schattendorf
- Wiener Neustadt - Friedberg
- Friedberg - Fehring
- Wien Meidling - Gerasdorf
- Gerasdorf - Mistelbach
- Mistelbach - Laa an der Thaya
- Wien Handelskai - Wien Hütteldorf
- Wien Hbf - Marchegg
- Freiland - Traisen
- Hainfeld - Traisen
- Eisenstadt - Neusiedl am See
- Leobersdorf - Weissenbach-Neuhaus
- Wien West - St. Pölten Hbf über Tullnerfeld
- St. Pölten Hbf - Amstetten
- Linz Hbf - Wels Hbf
- Wels Hbf - Attnang-Puchheim
- Wels Hbf - Neumarkt-Kallham
- Neumarkt-Kallham - Passau
- Wels Hbf - Aschach
- Wels Hbf - Grünau im Almtal
- Linz Hbf - Pregarten
- Pregarten - Summerau
- Sarmingstein - Linz Hbf / St. Valentin
- St. Valentin - Linz Hbf
- Linz Hbf - Kirchdorf an der Krems
- Kirchdorf an der Krems - Selzthal
- St. Valentin - Garsten
- Garsten - Kleinreifling
- Kleinreifling - Selzthal
- Amstetten - St. Valentin
- Amstetten - Waidhofen an der Ybbs
- Waidhofen an der Ybbs - Kleinreifling
- Pöchlarn - Scheibbs
- Linz Urfahr - Aigen-Schlägl
- Selzthal - Radstadt
- Freilassing - Salzburg Hbf
- Straßwalchen - Salzburg Hbf
- Salzburg Hbf - Schwarzach-St.Veit
- Schwarzach-St.Veit - Saalfelden
- Radstadt - Bischofshofen
- Attnang-Puchheim - Oberhofen-Zell/Moos
- Attnang-Puchheim - Ried im Innkreis
- Ried im Innkreis - Schärding
- Neumarkt-Kallham - Ried im Innkreis
- Ried im Innkreis - Braunau
- Steindorf-Straßwalchen - Braunau
- Stainach-Irdning - Attnang-Puchheim
- Wörgl - Innsbruck Hbf
- Innsbruck Hbf - Landeck
- Innsbruck Hbf - Brenner
- Innsbruck Hbf - Scharnitz
- Saalfelden - Wörgl
- Kufstein - Wörgl
- Feldkirch - Buchs
- Bludenz - Feldkirch
- Feldkirch - Bregenz
- Bregenz - Lochau-Hörbranz
- St. Margrethen - Bregenz
- San Candido/Innichen - Lienz
- Lienz - Spittal am Millstättersee
- Spittal am Millstättersee - Villach Hbf
- St. Veit an der Glan - Villach Hbf (über Feldkirchen)
- Klagenfurt Hbf - Villach Hbf (über Velden)
- Villach Hbf - Jesenice
- Villach Hbf - Arnoldstein
- Villach Hbf - Kötschach-Mauthen
- Friesach - Klagenfurt Hbf
- Wolfsberg - Klagenfurt Hbf
- Bruck an der Mur - Selzthal
- Graz Hbf - Spielfeld-Straß
- Graz Hbf - Jennersdorf
- Bruck an der Mur - Graz Hbf
- Mürzzuschlag - Bruck an der Mur
- Bruck an der Mur - Neumarkt in Stmk.
- Spielfeld-Straß - Bad Radkersburg
- Klagenfurt Hbf - Rosenbach
ÖBB Customer Service
A-1020 Wien, Postfach 75